Stones absorb energy from their surroundings so it is important to cleanse and recharge them every so often to clear away negative, stagnant, or unwanted energies. There are many methods used to cleanse crystals, and the one you use should depend on what works best for you. The amount of time you use for each method for also depends on what works best for you. Generally we recommend cleansing them overnight unless you are holding them under running water, or cleansing them in sage or incense which generally takes a few minutes.
To cleanse crystals:
1. Bury them in sea salt. We like to use coarse sea salt, but have also used fine grain “table style” sea salt. Just make sure that you are in fact using sea salt and not iodized table salt.
2. Place them into a solution of sea salt and cool water. For the type of sea salt to use see above. As for the water, you can use tap water, or water from a natural source like a spring, river, or lake or even rain water/ snow water.
3. Hold them under cool running water. This works with either tap water or water from a natural source such as a stream or the ocean. If you use a natural water source it is best that the water flows or has a current.
4. Bury them out doors in the snow. Look for a spot that is untouched, and uncontaminated.
5. Hold them over the smoke of Sage or Incense for a few minutes. It can be helpful when using this method to visualize the unwanted energies being drawn out of the crystal.
6. Surround with Selenite or Malachite stones. These stones have incredible drawing power. This is a great no fuss method to use. If you have crystals that you like to use every day it is often a good idea to store them with either Malachite or Selenite (or both). You can place the stones in a box or pouch when not in use and the Selenite and Malachite will keep them cleansed and ready to go for you.
7. Bury them in the dirt. Try to find uncontaminated soil and bury them a few inches down. When you take your stones out wash them in cool water.
After you cleanse your crystals it is a great idea to charge or energize them. The amount of time and method you use is again, completely up to you. You want to find a method that works well and that is convenient for you.
To charge or energize your crystals:
1. Expose the crystals to bright sunlight for a few hours.
2. Expose the crystals to the light of a full moon over night.
3. Leave them out in a rainstorm – especially if there is thunder and lightning.
4. Place them in a Pyramid box for 24 hours (the ones we use are made of glass).